Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Writers Block -> Calm -> Friends et al

As if it weren't obvious, I've been suffering some pretty intense writers block.  What's worse, I so don't feel like writing.  I'm having one of those moods that may be construed as a suffering self-image where I don't think anything going on right now is noteworthy.  I'm fine with everything going on right now (or not going on right now, as the case may be) but I'm having trouble extracting the minutely interesting from the clearly mundane. 

Things are calming down in our household since Christmas.  We finished our living room project, as everyone knows.  We went pillow and throw blanket shopping and even bought a wreath for the door for the concluding ceremony.  My justification is this: if we buy it now, the project is through and there's nothing that I'll want to do for a very long time.  I can just sit and enjoy the completeness of our home.  We even went so far as to buy frames for bettering the bedroom situation in the frame of mind that if I left the bedroom too desolate, my mad decorating frenzy may have spilled into there.

Also, now that Marcus has returned from the cold grip of UPS during the holidays, I'm spending more of my time watching Friends cuddled up on our couch after dinner instead of watching Marcus's head bob around.  Watching Friends together is an age-old pastime and one of my favorite ways to communicate.  Actually, no communication takes place here except "This is funny, don't you think?" but it's the best antidepressant – superior to all others and without the first side effect.  The first step of marital bliss is securing each other's safety from angst in the form of Monica, Chandler, Phoebe, Joey, Ross, and Rachel.  At least it is for us.

This causes a different problem – a girly problem – and this may be quite boring, but we'll see.  Because this was my favorite show in middle and high school, and because my friends and I used to decide which of us was which Friends character (I was usually Rachel), and because they always had the coolest clothes, the best hairstyles, and the prettiest makeup (the girls, of course, except I think Joey in earlier seasons wore some pretty intense makeup), I feel compelled to reevaluate my hair/makeup/clothing routine.  I don't realize I'm doing this until it's too late.  Instead of reading in my Kindle before I started writing this, I was mindlessly clicking through Sephora.  I'm not after anything in particular, but it just puts me in that mood.  Blah.  Except it is fun.  I'm a girl.  Let me be.

Well, those of you who never got into the Friends things will find this mind-numbing, so just ignore it.  It will always be my very favorite show due to its popularity during my formative years, but it also got me thinking about writing.  I remember never thinking of the fact that sitcoms have writers just like anything else, until they switched writers towards the end (season 8?).  It was all the buzz, and a light bulb popped up over my head and I realized that could be the most incredible job I could imagine—being a screenwriter.  I never chased that brief dream, obviously, but I can somewhat credit it to my perusal of other writing avenues.

This is my blog, and I'll neglect to conclude this entry if I want.  

1 comment: