In response to Don Miller's blog this morning Handling Digital Clutter (and I promise I don't plan on responding to everything he has to say) I have definitely been considering removing the clutter that is Facebook. My husband has done it. I actually honestly judge people just a tiny bit when they mention that they have a Facebook account. I feel like it's lame, chiefly because it generally takes up a tremendous amount of a person's precious 24-hours. I haven't deleted mine because of a few reasons.
1. I'm afraid I'll lose this group called The Book Club. It hasn't been updated or posted on in forever, but I refer to it occasionally when trying to remember a specific book that someone recommended a while back.
2. I understand that Facebook gives you the option of keeping pictures and saved information, but I'm not sure how that works, and I'm afraid of the unknown.
3. I'm reluctant to delete it because honestly it doesn't take up ANY of my time. I probably haven't even opened up a browser to Facebook in 2 or 3 weeks, and I'm sure it's been more than that since I last posted something on my own. It doesn't tempt me at all, so there isn't any reason to remove the temptation.
4. Facebook is the only way some people know to get in touch with me, but this argument is weak. If someone really wanted to reach me, it would be easy enough without Facebook.
The main argument is #3 (I realized I put these in completely random order). Why rid yourself of something that doesn't hurt anything or take up any space (such as an unwanted pair of shoes or half of the contents of your closet)? #3 is the main reason I have left it alone. I know I'll eventually delete it because I hate being a part of such an abomination of socializing, but no rush.
I will not try to sway you in either direction, but I will say this: There's a sense of pride/freedom that comes with knowing you are no longer associated with this form of online social networking, and therefore no longer contributing/supporting the perversion of communication for future generations.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you no longer know what is going on with people constantly via their updates, and can genuinely ask them how they are and what's been up with them since you last spoke without secretly knowing already and having to half-heartedly listen to their reply. It is also fun to feel like your sense of mystery is back, "I'm aloof!" lol. Not to mention the fact that my info is no longer floating around on the web (with the exception of my blog that I never update), which makes me feel safer.
Well, maybe I am trying to sway you just a tad, lol, but to each his own. If you want to keep it, then by all means do, because like you said, you barely use it anyway, and it doesn't seem to affect you. However, the only things I find myself missing are the ability to share pics from a trip (which I can share by other means if truly motivated) and likewise view other people's trip albums (but where has the art of actual album making gone? Let's bring it back!), status updates from NPR (but I could just go to their site), and updates from retailers about sales (again, I could just visit their sites, but some do offer discounts exclusive to facebook users--I've scored many a free ticket or bargain this way).
Oh, and go Marcus! I'm proud of you! lol
To comment directly to the reasons you listed:
1)The web is full of sources for book club/reading suggestions, and you can always email or call those people who were in your facebook group to ask them.
2)It's simple, you just press a buttn and it guides you, no need to be anxious.
3)Why not rid yourself of it for real? Not saying you are a facebook addict by any means, but just as an illustration, would you find the same reason for an alcoholic keeping a bottle of rum in their house convincing? I venture to say no, you'd be like "Chuck it out already, man!" : )
4)Well, you've already spoken to this one. If anything, it weeds out the people that aren't really friends in the true sense of the word, (instead of the sad facebook definition of one).
Let me make clear though, whatever your decision, I will not respect you any less for it. Good luck deciding! :)
P.S. If you do go to permanantly delete it and then have a change of heart, they give you 14 days before it's gone for good.
Dually noted! :-) I especially like your parallel to an alcoholic with a bottle of rum stashed away. lol!
ReplyDelete