Okay, no messing around, here we go. I've got to quit writing in a Word document things that can never be put on the Internet if I value peace, happiness, job, life, and general well-being whatsoever. It helps to get those thoughts out, but those should be saved for a diary or something.
So anyway.
I keep forgetting that this weekend is a three-day weekend! I do mental acrobats (cartwheels, back flips, etc) when I remember. This has been happening several times throughout the day. Monday I didn't realize it at all, but yesterday (Tuesday) was filled with mental acrobats. And maybe some real life chair-dancing. I don't have any plans for this glorious day, but maybe that can change. Whenever I think of a nice, pleasant day-off, I'm usually outside. I am outside much less than I'd like to be as a whole. Normally, when I picture an ideal day-off, Marcus and I take Seamus for a hike somewhere, then maybe go to a park and I'd sit and read and Marcus would throw a Frisbee with Seamus. We'd get tired, go home, grill something out, eat, maybe open a bottle of Moscato and enjoy the rest of the evening with either a movie or just visiting. This ideal plan, however, does a whole lot better in the Spring or Fall.
So, what about this wintry day-off? I think people are prone to spend more money in the Winter (or in the dead of Summer in the South) because usually things that are free but not boring depend on the weather. It's free to sit inside and work on deepening the butt-print on the couch, but that starts to get depressing, not to mention sore. If you want to do something during these uncomfortable times of the year, usually money must be relinquished. This brings me to another thought I've been having.
It's depressing and nearly impossible to be friends with couples who have gobs more money. Their activities and lifestyles are shaped differently than ours. No one is wrong or bad or whatever, but it's just tough on both. The affluent friend suggests activities and trips and whatnot, and we have to slink away. So we thought, okay so let's remember that we love our single friends, too, as long as they don't mind spending time with us, the couple. The problem here is this: When I was single, even though I only made $8/hour, I had TONS of money! I was able to do whatever I wanted. Money was never an issue. Let's go to the movies! Let's go see another movie after that! Let's all meet at such and such a restaurant. (I'll just have a water. With a lemon.)
One day something will act as the great equalizer. Or, there will be a time when we can afford to have friends on a regular basis -- even if those friends can now afford to have Summer lodging in exotic countries and are friends with the President of the US and the Pope and whoever else, when we're just getting to where we can go out to eat anytime we want and go see two movies back-to-back.
Well, I guess I've brought up the uncomfortable subject and now everyone is shuffling their feet and dropping their eye contact and feeling weird. Go ahead and hit the red x at the top left (Mac users) or top right (everyone else).
And look at the time! I'm late for my shower again!
That was great! I wonder if I'll be allowed to read the Word version some time?
ReplyDeleteLove ya, chick! Also, I know this is uber cliche, but the best things in life are definitely free.
ReplyDeleteFun (and free) winter activities:
-playing board games you already own and making fun wagers that don't involve money (scrabble, etc.)
-Watching movies you already own, but this time maybe leave it on mute and take turns saying the lines (or make up new ones, think Mystery Science Theatre 3000) The Moscato will also help here.
-Have Marcus read to you, or vice versa. After childhood the practice of being read to ceases, but I don't think it should. It's nice to be read to, and heck, make it a kids book and insist that they do all the voices, lol!
-Make a new playlist and have an impromtu dance party while cooking, via The Big Chill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86GA4JnW7x4
If all else fails, you can always ask those affluent friends if you can borrow their timeshare or if they can introduce you to the Pope.
Or... work on plot development for your novel!!
ReplyDelete