Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

And now...

Alright.  Here we are and it’s after Christmas.  Sure enough, I got what I was hoping for—a Kindle.  Do you think I’m going to be able to talk about it, though?  Of course not!  It’s Christmas weekend, and any attempt for real quality time I’ve made with my Kindle has been sabotaged in one way or another.

In my short, and very sweet time with it so far, I’ve discovered that I can’t live without the dictionary feature, but it’s very, very distracting and I find that I want to look up any and all words that aren’t solid members of my vocabulary yet, regardless of whether I can assume the meaning from context.  I hope this new habit doesn’t prove detrimental to my mad context-clues skills. 

I’ve begun reading Cutting for Stone by someone whose name I can’t pronounce and/or remember to save my life.  It’s about twins born in Ethiopia to an Indian nun and an Englishmen, both of whom practiced medicine.  From what I can tell so far, the nun-mother is dead, but evidently the people she left behind were not entirely scandalized that she, a nun, somehow got pregnant without immaculate conception.  One of the twins is narrating – I’m in the prologue, so I haven’t really started yet, I don’t guess – and it starts out with his four-year-old self exploring his mothers desk that has been preserved as she left it in a missionary hospital, and wondering about a particular framed print of St. Theresa being shot in the heart by cupid. 

So far,  (and according to my Kindle, I’m only 2% through the book) I love the language and the general feel of the book.  My friend, Laura, who recommended the book to me in a comment on the Book Monkey on my Back entry, said that this book ruins all other books, because none are written so beautifully.  I hate to ruin any other books for myself, but I found that I couldn’t pass up the chance to read a book that pales all other books in comparison.  What would you do?

I’m writing this first on Microsoft Word, (for Mac.  And the rendition is grossly inferior, but whattaya gonna do?) because Marcus has unplugged the Internet from the wireless router so that it goes directly into the PC because our router doesn’t have enough ports to run them both, and the PC has no air card. 

He did this last night to setup his new Civilization V game, which I believe he may have played until 2 am.  I don’t feel like going in there this morning, crawling under the desk in that disaster of a room (thanks to Christmas decoration boxes and other such junk) in my delicate state of sleepiness to fool with Ethernet cables and wireless routers.  That is not my cup o’ tea. 

* * Significant Lapse of Time * *

I’m home from work now, Internet is back up, and I’m about to post this!  I thought I may have had more to say by the time I got home from the first day back to work after Christmas, but as it turns out, I don’t.  Plus, I have pizza waiting to be eaten, and it’s taking serious precedence.   

No comments:

Post a Comment