Search This Blog

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Weekend Recap: Diary Post Edition

Because it's Christmastime, I'm finding myself on my laptop less and less, but I have more and more thoughts to record.  The problem is, I'll think the recordable thought, then think, That'd be good to blog about, and then it's gone.  I will sometimes text the thought to myself, but that makes me feel slightly pathetic.  This is especially true when I send the text, and then a half-second later it pops in on my phone and I get that excited, Ooh!  I have a text, feeling.  Lame-o.

Some of the thoughts will probably come to me if I just do a bit of a recap, as uninteresting as that may be.

On Friday night, Marcus and I celebrated 3 years by going out to eat at Jesse's in Magnolia Springs.  It was very romantic.  Candlelight, classical Christmas music alternating with foreign opera.  For the occasion, I decided to order the most typical fancy-restaurant item on the menu.

I ordered their special salad to start, and then straight up ordered the Filet and Lobster.  I thought I didn't like lobster, but I may have judged it to harshly in the past since my only two experiences eating it were at a hibachi restaurant and another time on a cruise.  I was so very wrong about it, though.  It's somewhere between crab and shrimp, but closer to shrimp.  That is, until I got to the claw. It tasted like the most delicious, flavorful crab I had ever eaten.

Then, for dessert, and because it was our anniversary, we got a free creme broulee!  I recited the entire scene in My Best Friend's Wedding about creme broulee and Jell-O.  I had also never had creme broulee before, either, and it was marvelous!  It was made with Kahlua!  Somewhere toward the end of dinner, Marcus reached into his pocket and started to look embarrassed and happy the way he does, and I thought, Oh!  He's going to propose to me! but then that idea was dashed when I realized he already did that several years ago.  Rats.  Anyway, he didn't propose, but he DID give me a beautiful necklace for Chistmaversary!  Hooray!

Saturday we attended our friend Dana's wedding.  We were late (actually we were right on time, but with weddings, that tends to be inappropriate, as the wedding party is kind of trying to walk down the aisle at the same time).  We slid in, unnoticed by the congregation, but very noticed by the bride!  She was so adorable, waving excitedly at us even though we were kind of messing up the processional.  The floors were wood plank and I was wearing insanely uncomfortable peep-toe, high-heeled shoes, and to add injury to avoid more embarrassment, I had to make sure the big heels didn't clonk noisily on the floor while running to find our seats.  After all of that, I was thoroughly flustered and couldn't really relax.

It was a beautiful ceremony in a gorgeous Catholic church (designed in part by the Father of the Bride, who is an architect) with one of those successive stained-glass window pictures of the Immaculate Conception, birth, life, death, and resurrection of Christ.  I realized a few times during the service that I was childishly looking all around the church at the pictures in the glass, and not paying attention as well as an adult might.

Afterword, we made our way to the reception.  It was at another church's fellowship hall and it was exquisitely decorated by the families of the bride and groom.  They used mix-matched china for the place settings, and served soup and salad.  It was all delicious!  I ate a pumpkin bisque.  The band sounded great and Marcus and I danced to "Something" by the Beatles.  I typically don't dance unless I've been drinking (and that may also be true for a lot of people), so that was the only song we danced to, but it was fun.

Today, we ran into the father, mother, and brother of the bride at Walmart after church.  We went into the entrance to get a Redbox movie for tonight.  Actually, we first ran into my mom, then Dan, Angie, and Justin came by and we talked, and then our friend Katie walked in!  It was a wonderful, irritating-to-others reunion!  Anyway, the point is, it's okay for me to say that there would have been more dancing if there was booze, because Dan said so.  (It wasn't allowed since it was at a church.)

I'm sorry this blog isn't very interesting--it reads like a diary, and none of the bloggable thoughts surfaced in the process.

Ohh, good news (to us)!  We ordered a couch from La-Z-Boy a few weeks ago.  La-Z-Boy makes each couch to order, right here in the U.S. of A., so the wait is usually 4-5 weeks.  However, since it's Christmas, it could take as long as 8 weeks.  We called today just to see where we were in the process and when we could expect it.  The woman that answered the phone said that it should arrive just after Christmas!  Woohoo!

My brain is shutting down because it's Sunday afternoon and there are naps to be taken and cookies to be baked.  I know you're wondering what movie we rented at Redbox.  We rented A Christmas Carol (the one with Jim Carrey).  I wanted to see it last year, but never got to the theater.  A lot of people said it was too scary for children, (Parents of small children run that risk assuming the movie sticks to the original plot of the book.  Hello?), but I'm curious.

Okay, nap time, cookie time, and movie time!

Update: 10:36 pm, Monday night, more than 24 hours after watching the movie.  I will report that the movie was, as expected, quite scary and disturbing.  This wasn't my gripe, though.  I needed subtitles because I'm completely unable to understand a cockney British accent.  I was able to hear key words like, "Christmas!" and "Bah, humbug!" and "Dead!"  I am not exaggerating.  If I didn't know the story already, I would have been laughably lost!  I also didn't take a nap OR make cookies like I said I would.  Instead, we anally and precicely hung pictures in the living and dining rooms using our level.

No comments:

Post a Comment