Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stamps Rant

The difficult thing about blogging is that, in contrast with an email, there is no direct audience.  Today, I spent my morning blog time emailing a good friend because, like I said to her, I didn't have anything to blog about.  My blog would have said something along the lines of, "I'm so tired.  I got up this morning, banged my injured knee on the bathroom cabinet, and then made my way into the kitchen.  Then, I made myself a cup of coffee and warmed a zucchini muffin in the microwave.  Now, I'm eating said muffin and drinking my coffee.  The End."  Not that I would end a blog post with "The End," but still. 

I had plenty of things to talk to my friend about, because she's a specific person.  Whereas, I have no idea who is reading my blog (if anyone), so my posts tend to be less specific to any one particular reader.

I'm not sure who would care about such pointless things.  Regardless of the concern, onto an actual, albeit unmeaningful post.

Did you know that stores can charge more than face-value for stamps?  This makes no sense.  How can a store earn a profit on federal property?  Marcus told me to let it go, so if he reads this, he'll probably be irritated that I'm still stewing, but it's the principal.  I asked him to pick up two books of Christmas stamps for the Christmas cards that I was, on the clock, filling out and addressing.  When he brought them to me, I saw that they charged $10.80 for a book instead of $8.80, even though the books had $8.80 printed on them.

I called the store to ask, wondering if maybe the man who rang Marcus up keyed the price in wrong, and he very smugly answered that yes, they do charge more than face-value, in almost a challenging way.  I was stunned into silence, thanked him, and hung up. 

I angrily placed each stupid stamp on the Christmas card envelopes, noting that the stamps aren't even all that cute this year.  If you receive a Christmas card from me, please know that that stamp cost $0.54 instead of $0.44 and it was placed on the envelope with a resentful attitude.  Okay, maybe I'm not THAT angry about it, but seriously, did anyone know that this was allowed?

5 comments:

  1. What store was it? I bought mine at the UPS Store in town and don't even know what I paid for them since the price was a combination of stamps and shipping charges for the phone charger that was left at Thanksgiving. I've bought stamps at grocery stores plenty of times and have paid just face value - - I wonder if that's a new thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I actually had to pay more for my stamps this year as well, but I didn't mind because I figured it was a convenience fee. It saved me time, that I would have otherwise spent waiting in the giant line at the post office with crying babies and such. I also like the pinecones they have this year vs the gingerbread men, nutcrackers, and deer of last year. Those were cute, but now I can use these stamps well into Feb. (Just for the record, I myself am surprised that I was not equally as upset about this, lol.)

    I agree that it is odd that they can charge more for stamps though, and would have been equally annoyed by a smug attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND they sold me the gingerbread men, nutcrackers, and deer for this year! I was looking forward to the pinecones that I had seen, but no. It was the silly country Christmas variety pack. Blah. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no they didn't! lol Now, the extra fee would've been understandable if they were this years stamps, but that's just wrong. Hmm, boycott the store from now on?

    This is my answer to any situation where a store has "wronged me." lol I just decide never to shop there again *raises angry fist to the sky* as if that will "show them." I know they don't miss my scrawny little dollars, but it makes me feel better all the same, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA!! Yes! Consider it boycotted! I'm sure they are just devastated. That'll show 'em!

    ReplyDelete